Streambank Stabilization Journey
Follow along as we choose a site for a streambank stabilization project, learn about design and permitting, and observe installation. JRA will contribute $30,000 to the selected project, and Louise Finger with the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources has offered her expertise through this process.
Phase 1: Stream Basics and Identifying Potential Sites (April-June 2023)
April – Request for Projects Released
May 16 Stream Walk with Kip Mumaw of Ecosystem Services at the Consortium Meeting in Lynchburg
June 27 – Building Capacity for Stream Stabilization Roundtable hosted by Center for Watershed Protection and the Consortium Knowledge Network Team with expert guests and discussion.
July 31 – Potential Site Visits due via this Submission Form
Phase 2: Site Visits and Project Selection(s) (July-September 2023)
- Mid-August – Site visits with Louise Finger, Stream Biologist with DWR. These will be open to those interested in joining. Site visit dates include August 28 at State Farm DOC property in Powhatan, August 29 at a private property in Lexington in the morning and at Hope’s Legacy Equine Rescue in Afton in the afternoon (see summary of visits below)
- September – Virtual Meeting hosted by the Consortium Implementation Team to select project to move forward and learn about the decision-making process and aligning funding that are available.
- October – site selected, a private residential property in the Wood’s Creek Watershed in Lexington VA. Design has started.
Phase 3: Design and Permitting (September 2023-May 2024)
September/October – Agreements with partners whose project(s) are selected will be developed
November – Virtual Meeting hosted by the Consortium Implementation Team to get update from partners who are working on the selected project and which design interventions are being considered
February – Virtual Meeting hosted by the Consortium Implementation Team to get update from partners who are working on the selected project and share final design and permitting process
May – Streambank Roundtable hosted by Center for Watershed Protection and the Consortium Knowledge Network Team with expert guests and discussion
Phase 4: Installation (June-December 2024)
- May-November: Installation with optional visits from partners to visit site under construction
- December 2024: Project complete (possible extension through June 2025)
Meetings and Resources
Have you ever been faced with an eroding streambank on a site visit and wondered what the next steps should be? Join Consortium partners on a streambank stabilization journey, where we will go through the process together.
Phase 2: Site has been selected, design is underway.
Building Capacity for Stream Stabilization Roundtable: Site Selection Learning Journey
June 27, 2023 Building Capacity for Stream Stabilization Roundtable: Site Selection Learning Journey
The Roundtable included presentations from local researchers and practitioners, including an introduction to stream dynamics, history of land management and sediment loading in the Upper & Middle James, site selection considerations for stream stabilization projects, and more. There was also a Panel Discussion with all presenters to answer questions, engage with requested discussion topics, and share/discuss pre-submitted questions about specific sites in the Upper Middle James River watersheds.