About the Consortium
Growing partnerships to create healthy streamside ecosystems for clean water in the James River today and tomorrow.
We do this through a holistic approach to riparian restoration that involves five areas of focus:
- Riparian forest buffers
- Agricultural infrastructure
- Streambank stabilization
- Wildlife habitat
Consortium Goals and Action Teams
The Consortium has four Action Teams that support the Vision through associated Goals.
Outreach & Targeting Team
- Goal: Build awareness of the importance of riparian areas and deliver outreach based on identified partner priorities, landowner interests, and restoration opportunity areas to increase strategic riparian investments.
- Team Leads: Center for Watershed Protection, Conservation Partners LLC
- Goal: Ensure practitioners are using the best method for the best site for riparian restoration.
- Team Leads: JRA, Stroud Water Research Center
Knowledge Network Team
- Goal: Build knowledge and capacity about best practices, innovation, and by growing partnerships.
- Team Leads: Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- Goal: Coordinate implementation and outreach based on targeting, funding availability, and potential for impact.
- Team Leads: JRA, Trout Unlimited
Interested in joining a team? Get in Touch below.
The James River TMDL established a goal to restore almost 70,000 acres of riparian buffers, but only 11% of this goal has been achieved. To meet this goal, there is a great need for organizations to collaborate and leverage resources.
As the sole organization focused on the James River, the James River Association is in a unique position to coordinate this effort.
Dialogue + Design Associates is a community engagement and design firm based in Charlottesville that serves as the Consortium facilitator.
See the list of partner organizations below.